Tim texts me back, and I can hear the laughter in his voice, "You should be thankful that she's a perfectly normal 5 year old!"
That's perfectly normal!??
I'm standing in Super Target, trying to maintain my composure. Joy has just announced, very loudly, to the 5th mother in a row, "I want THAT mama! Not YOU!" This mother looks bemused. She has 3 little ones in tow. The last few mothers looked a little horrified though.
I really was trying to laugh and tell Joy I would be very very sorry to see her go. I tried to point out that those mothers all had children already, but she didn't fall for that one. I decided to get really distracted by looking at all the eggs in the egg case. I made her help me test them to see if they were "okay" for a while.
I then decided on a dozen eggs and put them in the cart. I leaned over her (she's in the cart as well) to kiss her. She says very loudly in her best Don't Do That Voice, "Don't touch me right now! We don't do that!" This is a combination of things I've said to her when she tries to touch me in places she shouldn't in public. I don't think I could hide my reaction to that one, so I'm sure I'll hear that again at some inopportune moment!
Learning the Routines
For my friends who have known me a long time, please keep your laughter to a minimum at this next statement - getting up in the morning has never been a strong point of mine. In fact, keeping the same schedule for more than a few days has usually been a challenge for me. I can keep a teaching schedule, but that's usually been the most my psyche can handle.
So it will come as no surprise that my new little girl needs a more rigorous SCHEDULE! I don't mean the easy things like read a book or two before bed. Or first you brush your teeth, then wash your face, then put on cream, then put on your pajamas. I mean getting up at the same time every morning & going to bed at the same time every night. I know it isn't rocket science, but it sure is hard!
The reason I think she needs more routine than we've had is that we're having little temper tantrums getting up and going to bed. It would be funny....but it isn't when we're running late or when we're all tired.
So, the Marine and the Opera Singer are trying to get up at the same time every morning and go to bed every night. Wish us luck!
Our Third Day of Routine
Well, the first two days were good! But Thursday night, we stayed up too late watching "Enchanted". Joy was loving sitting in her Daddy's lap eating popcorn and even though she and I have seen it a dozen times, Tim hadn't. It is a cute movie, if you haven't seen it. So, you can imagine what Friday morning was like!
I let her sleep an extra 20 minutes or so, since we didn't have school that morning. We worked in the garden in the morning, which means she drew on the sidewalk with her new chalk and ran around while I worked. The dogs were tied to the tree so they were mostly happy to be out and with us.
After we came inside, she plopped down on the couch while I got lunch ready. Before I could even get a simple lunch together, she was asleep. I woke her up, but really probably shouldn't have. I can't believe I used SpongeBob Square Pants as a bribe to get her to eat something! She ate a little bit, played with the dogs outside in the backyard, and then promptly crashed. I checked her and she had a little fever, so I let her sleep. I guess that's one way to get a nap! She's fine now, I think.
So, while trying to establish routines, I'm trying to be flexible! However, I don't need to watch much more SpongeBob....
Speaking Our Own Language
Several people have asked how Joy's language skills are coming. We are just astounded by it, is my answer! We were making a list last month of all the words she knows and stopped at over 250. Now, these are words that she knows what they mean. She can't always find them in her head to say when she needs them, but she's getting better with that. She is learning a few words in past and present tense, although the understanding of yesterday and tomorrow is a little fuzzy.
It's fascinating how she'll work on a word. Once she's got the meaning, she'll go sit next to Scarpia and repeat it a thousand times. Sometimes the way she's using it makes sense, and sometimes not. But we hear the word all day long!
Joy seems to have lost almost all of her Mandarin. But she doesn't know it. She is now telling me what everything in the house is called in Chinese. It's really funny! "Dji-jah" means stool, she'll tell me. Then I'll say it and I'm doing something wrong, and it makes her laugh and laugh! The next day, the word for stool is something different. It's hard to keep up!
I asked her the other day if she was dreaming in English and she said yes. Maybe that's why she's sleeping better these days?
Potty Words are Funny in Every Language
Did you know that "pee-pee" is a funny word? Or "bum-bum"? Or "boo-boo"?
Or any variety of made-up words that might be left-over Chinese or some variation of English words, but if they mean something vaguely naughty, they are funny!
I'm sure that Joy got to laugh at bathroom words when she was 3. And now, happy girl, she gets to laugh about them all over again, this time in English.
Oh, it makes going to public bathrooms so much fun! Since she's tall for her age, she almost looks like she's 6 years old. No one has asked me in public about it, yet, but if we don't get over laughing and saying as loudly as she thinks she can get away with any word that she knows she shouldn't say, I bet someone will!
Toes
I know kids can be cruel, but toes? Honestly!
I have had a hard time getting Joy to take her socks off at the Little Gym. All the other children go barefoot, but not Joy. At first, she would literally scream if I even suggested she take them off. (She's better now - she'll just say, very loudly, no thank you.)
So, I have been a little anxious about summertime and sandals. She had seen the fingernail polish in my makeup drawer and she's been enamored of any woman with painted nails. I thought - aha! Here's a bribe I can use! I've been telling her that when it's summertime and we wear sandals, we can paint her toenails. A smile a mile wide was my reward.
But those cute sandals in the closet didn't even get tried on without socks. So, I was worried about the first day of Sandal-wearing.
As we're putting them on in her room, talking about how hot it was going to be that day and how much fun it would be to wear sandals (and I promise to wear sandals too), I finally hear why she doesn't want to go without socks.
Some kid told her that her toes are too long!
Really!?
She has long toes, like her long fingers. Her second toe is longer than her big toe, and that clearly was what bothered her.
So I got to stifle a few laughs, then tell her about my childhood.
You see, I'm scarred because my mother, who has long toes, used to use them to pinch me! Really! (Where is social services when you need them?) ha!
I'm sure you've never noticed, but my toes are NOT long. In fact, you might say they were "short" and rather "stubby". But they work, so I don't complain!
I showed Joy my little toes and she just giggled and giggled (and giggled and giggled....)! And now, she'll walk up to me if I'm barefoot in the house, hand me my slippers and point to my toes and say, "Your toes are too small!"
Then she'll point to her own toes and exclaim, "My toes are pretty!"
Mission accomplished!
Here are some recent pictures.



No comments:
Post a Comment