It's hard to describe (at 4:30am) how much life has changed in 24 hours! (the sketchy internet connection doesn't help either) But I want to try to write a few things down while I can.
The handing over documents was so different this time! Chung yi had sent over to AIT most of the things we needed to carry with us last time. So I only have 2 pieces of paper to keep track of from them tomorrow. They do have this down, so while it feels a bit like a whirlwind, it is pretty controlled. Oh, and when they ask you to check the document, they don't meant that they way we think they do! Don't actually read it. lol
James' birthmother was there, which was different from the schedule they gave us. She had with her a social worker who "represented" her. There was the translator from yesterday who has been his social case worker for 3 months. The Vice-chairman of CY was there. And our translator, person in charge - Sharon. There was one more social worker, from the state. After all our interchange had happened, she made a request. It caused quite a stir! She Vice Chairman interrupted and was quite stern. The other women all looked surprised. The discussion between them went on for a while before they spoke to us. Sharon spoke to the Vice Chairman a good bit, clarifying, before she spoke to us.
Guess what the request was? Because it is a state requirement that children be enrolled in a school, they wanted proof that James would be going to school. Don't you think that's odd? He will not be a ward of the state, actually shouldn't have been once the final ruling came in. I quickly assessed that this fight was between the government and CY. I wonder if the interpretation of the new adoption law is changing here, or at least what is required of the orphanages is. This was unexpected, clearly, and I feel sure if we had balked and said it wasn't any of their business, CY would have backed us. But no need for that. I explained that of course we could provide proof he is attending school (thanks CHEC) but that it wouldn't be until January, when school started again. That s to please everyone.
Our exchanges with JR's foster mother were very special. She obviously loves this little boy, as does her family. She told us that he had chosen,"spontaneously" to come to us. I'mnot sure how that works, since I didn't think the children had that choice. But maybe he did. In any case, it meant for her that she could let him go to us.
We started the session with giving her a git, which was the right time to do that. It was a silver heart necklace of 2 hearts intertwined. We explained that her heartwould always be part of JR's heart and our hearts. She cried, apologized for her display of emotion, and then put it on. She touched it several times during our conversations.
There is so much to say about that part of the process, but I can't here. I just know that it must have broken her heart and I can only guess how JR feels. But he came willingly. A littlescared, but not timidly. He was clearly aware of this goodbye being for a long time. But he let us hold him, smile at him, responded with I love you too, and held on tight for thisnew ride!
Tim said and I agree that JR will be the glue in the family. He is impulsive physically, but it's not without thought. He is watchful and sees immediately when someone is displeased or upset. He wants to comfort Joy, but doesn't understand her reactions yet. (more on that later). He wants to make us laugh or smile at his accomplishment and isn't afraid to come and get it if we aren't paying enough attention. (the ipad is an amazing thing! Angry Birds transcends all language barriers and Fruit Ninja provides laughter no matter your age!)
There is more to say but it is time to wake up JR who doesn't want to get up and go to breakfast. 9am AIT appt.
more later
blessings
Margaret
No comments:
Post a Comment