Yesterday, Joy was 5. Today, she was 3 again. We knew it was bound to happen at some point! It was also a day to test limits. Just how far can I go before I make Mama and Daddy REALLY mad? Can I really sit down on the floor at the Subway station? Can I try to touch everything in the toilet today (after being especially grown up yesterday)? Can I pretend to swallow only to cram more food in my mouth and show it off to everyone? Can I try to climb on the railing at Taipei 101? Can I scream in the bathroom just because it has such a great echo? Do I realy have to sit up at the table? Are you sure?
At least all of us had a great night's sleep! We had a teary look when the lights went down, but a kiss and a hug seemed to make it better. And about 5 minutes later, she was out! And slept all the way through the night! Right up until 6:30 this morning.
Today we have been exploring a little bit of Taipei close to the hotel. Took the MRT (subway) to Taipei 101 (the huge skyscraper) to eat lunch in the food court and go shopping. Oh my - it's a good thing Courtney wasn't here! We'd have to leave her there for 2 days just to look at all the stores! Five floors of the very best shops! She'd love it!
We got some new shoes for Joy as well. The sales person wasn't really proficient in English but we were reasonably sure they fit okay. We walked a little bit, but decided by the way she was walking that it was time to put the old shoes on again. So, I was worrying that they didn't feel good or she didn't like them, then at the Executive Lounge this afternoon (for snacks) she just piped up and told one of the attendants there, Debbie, that she got to go shopping and had beautiful new shoes! when Debbie asked her if they fit okay, she said yes. So, I guess we did okay!
The attendants up there have been so sweet. They have given Joy a present every day. Today it was little pound cakes with salt dough figures on top. Very sweet of them!
Here are some pictures. It's been a good day, and tonight we may try to go to a night market. It's Christmas Eve and we'd planned on going to a church service somewhere, but the concierge said it would be a 45 minute cab drive there and then back and the only service in English was at 10pm. I think that's too much right now. We'll see though ---
Joy is definitely interested, and good at music! She can sing back to me a refrain of music she's heard only once. She understands how rhythm works (strong and weak beats) and can match pitch as well as retain pitches (meaning she can start a song on the same pitch every time, even when a few hours has passed). And she is fascinated with ballerinas and tutus! I guess all my time around the Boston Ballet may pay off in unexpected ways!
We are trying quiet time at the moment. I love this picture of Tim and Joy on the bed. We're kinda watching Charlotte's Web and she already is singing the tunes! Amazing!
Thank you for all your sweet comments! We can't wait for you to meet her too!
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you guys, thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteVicky and Matt
What an awesome adventure for you both....and especially for Joy!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you can't wait to arrive in Colorado where you will finally begin your lives together at home.
Merry Christmas!
(I know it will be the happiest of New Years!)
Michael McHugh
Margaret, I love your blog, I ran into Tim today at a sales meeting and he emailed me the blog. I had to call him to get the story, now I am reading the blog. I wanted to comment on the singing! I am thrilled you have a little person with whom you can pass on your tremendous talents. I have only been singing for 6 years (on a lark-with a Voice Instructor I knew from Starbucks) but it turned out I had talent-who knew I could be a Mezzo Soprano? So, I will be interested to read of your teaching her music. What a gift you and Tim have been blessed with. She is just the cutest thing! God Bless! Marci Prescott (mjprescott@me.com)
ReplyDelete