Two doctors in one day! What a trooper! It's little wonder Joy was weepy and sad tonight. She had quite the day!
First was the rash. Technically, this is the second rash. The first one was probably dry skin combined with being allergic to the special kids shampoo. We've almost got that one cleared up, although she keeps scratching some.
This one is on her face and does look pretty bad. So off to the doctor we went. We've just about decided it's a food allergy. The cream I'm using seems to be helping and we're adding benadryl. The main culprit is probably food dyes. So the goldfish are out. The fruit punch is out. We'll start there and see what happens.
Then we went to the dentist. This was a trip I was dreading! I've read such horrible stories about rotten teeth and pain and upset - and not being able to explain to this sensitive, aware child that whatever we had to do would make it better in the long run really worried me.
But she's just fine! In fact, her teeth look really good! I can hardly believe it! Definitely, an answered prayer!
Because of the 2 doctors, there really was no proper nap time today. I did get an hour of being on the couch looking at "Where's Waldo" while I got some computer work done, but it wasn't entirely easy. At least her new favorite item is her new watch! We started working on telling time by her telling me when the minute hand had moved to certain numbers. That way she could see there was progress being made and the end was going to happen at some point!
Somewhere before dinner, she started asking to get in the car. She did this last night as well. Tim and I worked on trying to understand why. I asked if she wanted to go see Jie-jie, thinking perhaps she thought that we could drive to where Courtney was. Joy said, no. I asked if she wanted to go to the store, which is where we went last night. No. Did she think she would get a cookie if we got int he car? No. Was there something in the car she wanted? No. Finally, mostly because it seemed like such a simple request to fulfill, we said yes.
So in sign language, she says, we eat, then when we're finished (hands up in the air), we go for a drive (pretend to steer) in Mama's car. Then Yeah!
After cleaning up, we got in my car. She was thrilled. We started driving to Golden to go see friends. She was happy until we got there. Then she was all worried and shy and clingy. Once we got inside, I could say, you're not staying with them - you're coming home with us! And our special phrase - I got you! She relaxed a little bit and said I gottchu back.
And then after about 10 minutes, she was the life of the party! Laughing, and squealing, mimicking everyone and playing a game we brought. We all had a great time!
I thought that surely we'd come home happy and ready for bed.
But I was wrong - when we got home, she didn't want to get out of the car and when I asked if she wanted to go home, she shook her head with little tears in her eyes.
That really surprised me! She's been so happy to be home, to get Katrina out of her crate and say hi to Scarpia. So I reminded her of those things and wouldn't let her stay in the garage, which is where she was acting like she'd rather be. Once we were inside, she wanted up in my arms.
So, after boots coming off, we went upstairs to get ready for bed. I wasn't quite sure what to do, but gently didn't let her have a choice. By the time we got to the 3rd floor (yes, that's where her room and bathroom are - what were we thinking!), she was saying Brush Teeth. We took a while to get ready for bed, but she didn't balk. At one point, I just sat and held her with her arms wrapped tightly around my neck.
On the floor next to us was the box of the world map puzzle. I had shown her where Taiwan was on it. She dropped down and started saying Taiwan and looking for it. So I showed it to her. She seemed pleased to find it. I then asked her where Home was. We found Colorado. I said that was where Joy lived now. She used to live in Taiwan and now she lived here and wasn't she a brave girl for doing that. Then we found New York again because Courtney lives there.
I really think she was missing her home in Taiwan. Which makes me wonder if she thought we would get in the car, then the plane and then go back. She didn't ask about the airplane, so maybe not. But she was sad tonight.
Maybe she likes the motion of the car, of getting out, of being with just Tim and me where we laugh and listen to the radio. I don't know. But I wonder if she'll ask again tomorrow night....
After reading a few stories, we're asleep. Tomorrow, I promised her we would start learning how to read. She obviously understands that the words on the page mean things and she wants to understand it.
I think I have my school work cut out for me!
Better get some sleep then ----
Bless her heart,
ReplyDeleteFran